Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Publisher Part IV: Prep Work

At this point, I feel like I should stop labeling these blogs "The Publisher" and start calling them "The Long Unexpected Journey of My Poor Unpublished Book."

                                                                            source

That is too long. We'll stick with the label we've got for now.

As I've mentioned before, this weekend, I will be attending a writer's conference in CT. For years, I had written off the possibility of attending a conference because admission to such events can cost thousands of dollars plus the cost of travel and hotels. Thankfully, this conference does not require me to travel far, and the cost of admission wasn't bad.

So, how does one prep for something like this?

First, business cards. Writing is an art, and publishing is a business. Therefore, be prepared to sell your art to agents. Cards should be simple (i.e. no butterflies or pictures of the ocean), concise, and contain your pertinent information. I ordered two hundred and fifty cards from Vistaprint.com, and it cost me $13.00. Information to include is your name, email, blog/website, and a short tagline that quickly sums up what you write. I'm a writer of historical fiction, so my tagline briefly encompasses the sort of writing I'm drawn to (and keep it short...like four words).

Secondly, writing samples. If you are selling your work, bring some with you. Most agents will want to see the first three chapters of whatever you've written. Why three chapters? If you haven't engaged the audience by chapter three, you've done something wrong. Those are the books you get at the library, start, and then never finish because you "just can't get into them." Bring enough samples for at least three to four agents.

Thirdly, schedule a session if you can. If your conference offers opportunities to meet with editors and agents, DO IT. One of the most challenging parts of the publishing process is getting your book into the hands of an editor. Editors and agents who attend conferences are ready to read your work and provide feedback. The cost for the sessions can be a little expensive (I paid $40), but feedback is priceless.

Fourth, know your work. You need to be able to pitch your book in three sentences or less. It feels impossible, but its necessary. You don't need to divulge every plot twist or minor characters, but the ability to sum up a novel in a few words is critical to selling the work. Bringing printed plot summaries is not a bad idea.

Fifth, dress appropriately. This. Is. A. Business. For a weekend conference, business casual is appropriate. You can dress and behave eccentrically when you are writing, not when you are selling your writing. A portfolio case is brilliant for carrying samples, and wear shoes comfortable enough to move in. You'll either be standing or migrating from session to session, so be comfortable.

Sixth, know where you are going, and be prepared to move. Most conferences are all-day affairs. Having a map of the conference center is a fantastic plan, and knowing how to actually get to the event is even better. Give yourself enough travel time to get there. Conferences will typically feed you at least one meal, but packing food is wise. Granola bars and fruit travel well, and aren't messy. Just be sure to bring mints for those one-to-one editor meetings.

Seventh, please have fun. Great minds think alike, and when the are all in one room it can be great fun. Bring notebooks for the informational sessions, explore the conference center, make new connections. Conferences are designed to aid writers in networking, so enjoy the process of meeting new people who are like-minded and ambitious.

I will keep everyone posted as to how this conference goes. I'll be leaving my house at four in the morning, so prayers are appreciated...ugh...coffee.

P.S.  I HAVE THRILLING NEWS!!!! I just bought tickets to see Macbeth performed at the Globe Theatre in London this coming July. The GLOBE! If you are wondering, yes, I did squeal like a little girl for a solid five minutes, much to the amusement of my family. For a girl who named her car "Hotspur" (Henry IV Part I) this is a big deal. I know I'm a nerd and I embrace it.

LOVE

4 comments:

  1. Hi it's Ocean!!! I didn't know you were a Christian too!!! Jesus <3
    wish the best for you! this conference was a great beginning!
    let's keep in touch!!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ocean!!! It was so great to meet you. Did you get home safely? This conference was such an encouragement, and I left feeling really challenged. Yes, I am a Christian, and love writing about what God's teaching me. I looked for your blog, but got a notice saying the website was no longer available :( Where'd you go?

      Have a blessed day!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Samantha! I so enjoyed meeting you on Saturday. Thanks for following my blog. I'd love to keep in touch and maybe we can help each other with critiquing sometime. It'll be awhile before I have anything new, though. My thoughts now are swirling with all the changes I need to make to my current novel to get it submission ready. Daunting, but I'm excited for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa!! I would love to help critique! I now feel like there are a million revisions to make, but I'll be ready soon. It was great to meet you, and your blog is wonderful. What beautiful kids! Let's stay in touch :)

      Delete