Saturday, September 21, 2013

Running for Love

My blog is not looking very pretty right now.

                                                                      source

When I decided to title it " A Work in Progress," I had no idea it would be so aptly named...yeesh! Hopefully, we will be looking pretty and functional in a day or two.

I, however, am not looking pretty or functional at the moment. Oh the joys of sinus infections. With a red, stuffy nose, head pounding, watery eyes, and sore ears, I look more like a Bassett hound. It's pj's, sleep, and tea for me because I need to be well in one week. Actually, I need to be a bit better than well because I'm running my first 5K.

Stop laughing. It's not funny.

Why am I doing this? I think everyone has a reason for running. Whether you run for health, a sense of accomplishment, or to reach a distance/time goal, I feel people need a logical reason for running because its an illogical thing to do. I mean a marathon...what is that? Why would I run 26 miles unless  being chased by a Kodiak bear, killer sharks, and/or a herd of redneck zombies (scariest flippin' things ever). I'm not a runner, nor do I particularly understand the draw. However, when LOVE146 announced that their Ride, Run, Walk for Love would be this September, I started working my way up to a 5K.

What is LOVE146? It is a non-profit organization whose only goal is to end child sex trafficking and exploitation. Their battlefield is international and domestic, using prevention education and grassroots efforts to combat the trade of children. They also provide holistic aftercare to survivors, and give them the tools to integrate back into their communities. So many survivors go on to live healthy, joy-filled lives, even after such traumatic abuse. I've made the organization (and the issue) sound like it can be neatly packed up and dealt with. Sex trafficking, however, is such a densely layered, convoluted, twisted crime that often relies on socioeconomic vulnerability, cultural conventions, and lack of education to prey on their victims. Traffickers are well-networked, and in some cases, law enforcement willingly turns a blind eye. So no: child sex trafficking won't end without a fight. There is darkness, but there is hope. If you want to hear some accounts of the work and the cases LOVE146 sees, view here (warning: some of the stories shared are a bit graphic). This is why I love this organization's work so much. This is why we're running next Saturday.

This fundraiser isn't just a local event. It happens all over the world, and the distances and dates have varied. Check out these three gentlemen from my favorite city in the world who ran 1,000 miles for love here. And here's a local church who ran their own race here. Lives are being changed, hope is being restored, and link by link the chains are being broken.

If you want to join me in running, all the information for sign up is here. Please do come run, walk, or ride your bike (motorcycles are invited as well!!) Personally, I might end up crawling, stumbling, and eventually limping for love, but we are not Chariots of Fire; we are people on fire for these kids and getting them the justice and hope they so desperately need. You can also find info on how to donate to this cause on the link above.

Love protects, love defends, love restores, love empowers.




No comments:

Post a Comment